Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] From 1.38 to 2.4 - rebuild or patch and pray?

2008-06-10 05:55:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] From 1.38 to 2.4 - rebuild or patch and pray?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:54:52 +0200
Hi,

10.06.2008 06:49, Mark Walkom wrote:
> Hi All,
> We want to move to version 2.4 ASAP but we are tossing up whether to
> rebuild our backup plan with a fresh install of 2.4, or try to shoehorn
> the current config of 1.38 into 2.4.
>
> What are your thoughts?

If you want to continue with your existing catalog and volumes, or
have a large number of things to configure (many different clients,
filesets, storages, pools, schedules... whatever) I'd upgrade.

If you can live with starting new backups, and only have to do an
easily understood configuration, you could also start with a fresh
install.

Personally, I would almost always upgrade just to keep the existing
volume and catalog data available.

Arno

> Thanks,
> Mark