Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Medium Error, Insert New Media, Medium Readonly

2008-06-04 13:09:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Medium Error, Insert New Media, Medium Readonly
From: "Jari Fredriksson" <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: "Christian Gaul" <christian.gaul AT otop DOT de>, "bacula-users" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:08:28 +0300
> Has anyone had that strange error of bacula-sd marking
> media as WR_PROT? Is it even an error, or is it normal
> and i am just misinterpreting it?

I have similar problem with my old (10 years old) HP DDS2-drive. Often, when I
insert a cardridge, it shows up as WR_PROT.

However, its not Bacula "marking" it so, it really happens as soon as the
cardridge is mounted in. I use mt status to see it's in proper status before I
mount it in Bacula. I sometimes needs many "mt eject" calls before it finally
mounts as writable.

Good thing is that current Bacula (2.2.8) refuses to mount a WR_PROT-cartridge.
I used to lose many backup jobs with 1.x versions, if I erred to mount the tape
in Bacula, and the cartridge was in write protected mode.

Maybe a bad media, maybe a bad drive.. dunno.