Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] documentation clarification

2008-05-15 07:57:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] documentation clarification
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Charles Sprickman <spork AT bway DOT net>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:56:37 +0200
On Tuesday 13 May 2008 00:02:00 Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hello Kern,
>
> I really, really hate to bug you directly, but is there any chance you
> could look at this thread and give a definitive answer on what determines
> the purge time for a volume (and what's contained in the catalog for that
> volume)?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Volume-purged%2C-why--to17039840.html#a17042599

Well, I think it is reasonably clearly spelled out in the manual.  The key to
understanding it is to remember that the retention time for a Volume (or the
other items) pertains to the records in the catalog.  So, once all the file
and job records in the catalog corresponding to a Volume are pruned, in
effect the Volume is purged.  In older Bacula's this would not be recognized
until the volume was needed again.  However, in 2.2. after each pruning,
Bacula specifically checks if all the records for the Volume are pruned and
if so marks the volume as purged.

In thinking about it, this might have subtly change the concept of Volume
Retention period since if I am not mistaken, currently the Volume can be
marked Purged before the Volume retention period expires (that would need to
be confirmed).  If the jist of your email is that you don't want the Volume
to be recycled until a particular period expires, perhaps we need to think
about having a Recycle Period ...  or defined the Volume retention period to
be the period that must expire before the volume can be recycled regardless
of its purged status.

Best regards,

Kern