Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] copy/duplicate backup revisited

2008-04-29 14:05:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] copy/duplicate backup revisited
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:05:10 -0700 (PDT)
Folks,

  I have read "general concept" and "duplicate backup" thread about having
multiple copies of the backup. My backups are less than 600GB (fits on one LTO
3 tape), and I am thinking of a different, maybe easier, approach. I would
appreciate any input you may have on it.

  1) Backup everything to disk, one file per client.

  2) Use tar command to write the backup files and other relevant file to the
tape.

   I am not sure what other files I need to copy to tape?
   config files?
   catalog file?
   database config?
   whole database directory?

  When I need to restore from tape (disaster recovery), I can (in theory)
install bacula and database server on another machine, untar the files from the
tape and run restore.

If I need to  restore files from one client can I untar the client backup file
and "other relevant" files from the tape and run restore?

  I can keep the disk backups for couple of months, and store tape in a safe
for a year. When I need to re-cycle the tape I can just relabel it, I do not
have to worry about pruning/purging.

 Am I missing anything?

 Thanks for your input.

Hemant Shah