Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problems with Bacula running very slowly

2008-04-26 15:41:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problems with Bacula running very slowly
From: Joshua Hutchins <jdhutchin AT ugcs.caltech DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:40:14 -0700
I recently set up Bacula to backup a small cluster of machines.
However, some servers are backing up absurdly slow- 300kb/s.  I noticed
this with a few servers, and thought maybe it was just a fluke- but most
seem to go this speed.  I had a more powerful server that started
backing up around 10mb/s, but that speed dropped throughout the backup
so that the average speed was around 3mb/s (although this was before I
turned spooling on).  I'm running Debian packages, recompiled with
--enable-openssl so that we could use encryption for our tapes ( a must
for our installation).

I tried setting up spooling to see if it was the tape drive, but it
didn't help.  Compression is turned off, TLS is off, but I have
encryption turned on- I did a quick test without encryption, but it
didn't speed things up appreciably.  While the backup is going on, I can
copy files through other means (scp, nc) between the machines at speed
around 15mb/s.

Here are the details about the setup between the two machines:

Machine running the file daemon:
- Connected with a 1000mb/s link (verified with mii-tool)
- 4x PIII @ 800MHZ.  The bacula process consumes 100% of one cpu, but
the rest are sitting virtually unused.
- iostat shows that it's  continually reading from the disk.
- strace'ing the process doesn't show anything unusual (it is opening
lots of files, then writing the data out, nothing appears to be hanging)

Machine running the storage daemon:
- Connected to a SCSI LTO-2 tape drive (not really relevant, because it
is currently spooling)
- While the backup is running, the load is very low ( 0.04, 0.01, 0.00 )
- iostat shows occasional disk writes, about once every 5 seconds or so
- bmon shows an rx rate that varies between 100 and 300 KiB/s

I'm baffled as to why Bacula would run so slow but everything else would
run faster,  Any  help would be greatly appreciated- I really like using
Bacula, but 300kb/s is intolerably slow.

Thanks, Joshua