Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Shares

2008-04-19 05:02:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Shares
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:56:14 +0200
Hi Michael,

Michael Da Cova wrote:
> Hi
>
> Tried to search the list but don't seem to find any threads, so hope someone
> can help

It's a bit unusual what you describe.
First question :
When you say "backing up windows shares" what do you mean.
Did you use a bacula-fd on the windows system and save a filesystem directory
which is shared, or
did you mount the windows share somewhere, an backup this mount ?

> Does bacula support of backing up and restore Windows Shares, when I restore
> any folders that have been made shareable the share is lost, but all the
> security permissions seem to be retained

In my experience, if windows was unable to find a directory which is normaly
share at boot it wouldn't be able to restart the
share. And offently keep the records in registry.

So after a restore of such a directory you have to issue a new command net
share add ... (could be a post job)
or manually find the share in the registry, delete it and recreate it, and
restart the "computer share and browser services ..."

> Bacula 2.2.8 Linux server, Windows 2003 server with all the batches as the
> client
>

> Michael

It would be usefull to keep a dump of the registry as "clear" text with a
regedit -e dump somewhere you backup the file.
This could help you to retrieve shared named and rights. a bit of copy&paste
and you could import the keys/value inside registry.

Hope this help you a bit.

--

     Bruno Friedmann  bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch