Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bscan catalog restore problem

2008-04-18 07:11:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bscan catalog restore problem
From: lists <lists AT olofsson DOT tv>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:11:28 +0100
Just want to follow this up.
Ok i gave up trying th get bscan to repopulate the DB.

These are the steps I took to try and get bscan to work.

When I first noticed that some files were pruned from the DB I ran bscan on the Volume, it worked to a certain point.

bscan -V brendan_crew_001 -v -s -m -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0

which did puts some this back. not everything.

then when this didn't work i purged the Volume and reran

bscan -V brendan_crew_001 -v -s -m -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0

Thinking that starting fresh would work better.

It's take about 3 hours to read from the TAPE and restore DB. I did this a few times (this can get very frustrating)

I tried using option 5 of restore.

but all I got from that was "No full backup done before 'INSERT DATE' "
So that was a dead end.

I then used the query option to see if I could find all jobs ID for the Volume.

Using option 3 of restore,I entered the job ID's about 20-25 of them, it build a file tree for me to access but I only a fraction of the files could be accessed.

After this I got so piss off with bscan and the futile  attempt to restore the DB. I used bextract to dump the entire contents to an external HD. I could have used bls to search for the directory I wanted and then use the include option of bextract to get at the directory.

I've no idea why this bscan did not work for me. and why only a fraction DB was restored from the tape when I finally used bextract I managed to dump 300+ GB of data to the extenal HD,but bscan only put back in the DB about 10GB.
I am now in the process deleting the database (mysql)  and starting fresh.
Hope this help someone in the same situation.
I still have no idea what went wrong, maybe I'll never know!
Bacula is great software but when  things like this happens and frustration kicks in....
Long term storage (Archived) I just use tar to dump stuff to tape!

Nils