Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] What happens during extended client down-time?

2008-04-07 14:30:19
Subject: [Bacula-users] What happens during extended client down-time?
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih AT hamartun.priv DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:25:44 +0200
I can't figure out from the manual how a scenario I'll soon experience
will be handled, so I figured I'd ask here...

I've got a number of machines being backed up to a tape set in an
autochanger, the tapes being automatically recycled, so that it's
completely maintenance-free.  However, one of the machines will soon be
taken down for an extended period; longer than a full tape rotation.
I'll make sure I have a bootable backup on the machine's own, native
tape drive, just in case.  I'd like Bacula to continue rotating the
tapes, ignoring that machine while it's down, and then start backing it
up again when it's back online.

In the manual, it says that Bacula will refuse to overwrite the last
known copy of a backed up file.  Does this mean that automatic pruning
and purging will refuse to recycle my oldest tape as soon as that means
losing the ability to restore the machine that's down?  If so, what can
I do to override that?

-tih
--
Self documenting code isn't. User application constraints don't. --Ed Prochak