BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_serverMesg has no effect? (Tapio Lehtonen)

2017-07-24 11:05:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_serverMesg has no effect? (Tapio Lehtonen)
From: Tapio Lehtonen <tapio.lehtonen AT satatuuli DOT fi>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:04:02 +0300

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 10:42:08 -0500
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support"
        <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_serverMesg has no effect?

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Tapio Lehtonen
<tapio.lehtonen AT satatuuli DOT fi> wrote:
Running backuppc 3.3.0-2+deb8u1 on Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 Jessie.

Used command
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg backup 192.168.42.2 humppa
backuppc 1
to force full backup.

Not sure about the command line problem, but I used to occasionally
force full runs to start on a host or two as I was leaving work on
Fridays using the web interface so they would have the weekend to
complete if necessary - and to correct any time-skew that might have
happened.  This was slightly before the blackout time would end so
there would not be a problem with concurrent scheduled runs.

I used to do just that, but figured it would be convenient to let cron do the job. And users say they want to work late in the evening, and a running backup slows the server down too much.