BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Debugging excludes and....

2017-06-05 10:29:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Debugging excludes and....
From: Paul Fox <pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 10:29:07 -0400
this question ("how do i exclude X and Z without excluding Y") seems
to come up a lot -- i've certainly asked it in the past.

if seems like it wouldn't be too hard (for someone more perl-savvy
than i am) to create a small utility that could be used for testing.
it would be given a list of patterns (just as bob as given it below), and
it would filters a list of files from stdin (the output of "find -print",
for instance), emitting only those names which would be backed up.  i
suppose it would need knowledge of the underlying backup transport (tar
vs. rsync), as well.

okay, maybe not a trivial tool.  but it would sure be nice to be able
to do a dry run of a set of patterns in order to test them, before
actually disturbing one's backuppc config.

paul

Bob Katz wrote:
 > Hi, guys. I want to exclude any file that contains "Previews.lrdata".
 >
 > For example:
 >
 > Lightroom Catalog/Lightroom 5/Lightroom 5
 > Catalog/Old/original1.Lightroom 5 Catalog-2 Previews.lrdata/9/9965

 > Another challenging exclude needs to contain "PreviewsDefective.lrdata"
 >

 > Lightroom Catalog/Lightroom 5/Lightroom 5 Catalog/original1.Lightroom 5
 > Catalog-4 Smart PreviewsDefective.lrdata/9/9E74

 > Would it be as simple as using *Previews.lrdata*, for example:
 >

 > $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
 >   '*' => [
 >     '*Previews.lrdata*',
 >     'Lightroom ACR cache/',
 >     'Library/Caches/',
 >     '*.lrprev',
 >     'Lightroom Catalog/Backups/',
 >     'Library/Logs/CrashReporter/',
 >     'Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/'
 >   ]

 > Thanks for any advice,
 >

 > Bob

paul fox, pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us (arlington, ma, where it's 49.6
degrees)