BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup is stalled

2017-06-05 09:38:45
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup is stalled
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 09:37:56 -0400
I currently have three hosts going. The first two are "behaving" ok and are on backup # 6 or 7 already. Method is all rsyncd.

The third host, "Mary's iMac" (OSX) is stalled in backup #0. It has three shares. The first share, her home directory, proceeded fine. Everything backed up. The second share, a backup of a very large photo storage, is stalled about midway through. rsync has produced all the folders and has gone through part of letter O successfully, but the rest of the folders are empty from "Orlando" through to folder 'z.....". It's been about 22 hours in this exact condition:

Host marys-imac.local Backup Summary

  • This PC is used by root.
  • Host marys-imac.local is queued on the user queue (will be backed up soon).
  • Last status is state "backup in progress" as of 6/4 12:22.
  • Pings to marys-imac.local have succeeded 8 consecutive times.

The server host summary also says "backup in progress".

Is there any way I can examine what backuppc is doing or attempting to do "now"? To try and figure out why it is stalled.

I had the same problem with this same client four days ago, after it had been stalled for 48 hours, when it was stalled around letter "k". I became concerned that maybe my having added some excludes while the backup was going, so I decided to wipe the storage (using the command "BackupPC_backupDelete" and start over and watch it like a hawk, not changing any settings. The delete wiped 168320 directories. Then I started a full backup from the GUI and at first the GUI reported that the backup was missing but that soon cleared up.

I'm not sure if it stalled exactly at the same place but it was a similar place about midway through the backup.

Any ideas?

Bob