BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2.0]

2017-05-09 16:47:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2.0]
From: Paul Fox <pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 16:46:42 -0400
Steve Palm wrote:
 > You are right, of course...  Seems the -T parameter to ssh went
 > away at some point from the master rsync transfer configuration,
 > and the ssh authorized_keys entries for the backup login were
 > created with no-pty.

i've been burned by this in the past -- in my case it was a wrapper
around ssh that i use for a particular host which was producing a bit
of startup output, and it took me a long time to realize it was
causing the failure.

i can't think of any way for backuppc to help with this (and i tried).

paul

 > Thankfully, at this point, it seems to be running very smoothly. :)
 >
 > Steve
 >
 > > On May 7, 2017, at 3:17 AM, Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge
 > > DOT net <mailto:cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>> wrote:
 > >
 > > Steve,
 > >
 > > Most likely it's a problem with ssh (perhaps it's prompting for a
 > > password) or the client shell is producing output before rsync is
 > > run.
 > >
 > > Craig
 > >
 > > On Wednesday, May 3, 2017, Steve Palm <n9yty AT n9yty DOT com
 > > <mailto:n9yty AT n9yty DOT com>> wrote:
 > > Any clue what this is saying?
 > >

 > > This is the rsync child about to exec /usr/local/bin/rsync_bpc
 > > rsync_bpc: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
 > > [Receiver]
 > > Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0 filesTotal,
 > > 0 sizeTotal, 0 filesNew, 0 sizeNew, 0 sizeNewComp, 1676476 inode
 > > rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2.0]
 > > rsync_bpc exited with fatal status 255 (65280) (rsync error: unexplained
 > > error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2.0])
 > > Xfer PIDs are now
 > > Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share /Users/)
 > > Backup aborted (No files dumped for share /Users/)

paul fox, pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us (arlington, ma, where it's 45.9
degrees)