BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Help to understand some XFerLOG messages

2017-05-03 11:58:13
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Help to understand some XFerLOG messages
From: Steve Palm <n9yty AT n9yty DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 10:57:13 -0500
Since converting to BackupPC 4, one file server seems to have gone into a
continual loop of backing up over and over and over... continuously.  And this
server takes a long time to backup, so essentially it is always running a
backup on this host.

In trying to narrow it down, I looked at XFerLOG and see the following bits
that puzzle me....

At the start I have:

Copying v3 backup #2510 to v4 #2513
BackupPC_backupDuplicate: bad share 'refCnt'
Can't create /dev/null

That last line repeats MANY times.  Trying to use grep/wc -l to count it, it
looks like 84194 times.

I also see a lot of these interspersed:

Unable to open file
/mnt/stage/BackupPC/cpool/96/32/9632c389c31c7fccc6dabc7595012840

Sometimes it is 'Unable to open/read file" instead of just "open".  Only 61 of
those kinds of lines.

That section ends with:

Xfer PIDs are now 16378,2886
BackupPC_refCountUpdate: host xserve1 got 0 errors (took 1290 secs)
Xfer PIDs are now 2886
BackupPC_backupDuplicate: got 84195 errors and 61 file open errors

Those numbers match up with what I found in the log file.

Then I see 64 instances of:

G bpc_fileOpen: can't open pool file

There are, intermixed with those, 32 occurrences of this type:

rsync_bpc: failed to open

This section concludes with:

Done: 33 errors, 20 filesExist, 18598052 sizeExist, 18234685 sizeExistComp, 0
filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal, 702 filesNew, 1424838777 sizeNew, 1377410157
sizeNewComp, 6600205 inode

Number of files: 503,021 (reg: 437,456, dir: 64,700, link: 865)
Number of created files: 65,133 (reg: 433, dir: 64,700)
Number of deleted files: 54 (reg: 54)
Number of regular files transferred: 3,115
Total file size: 389,861,393,380 bytes
Total transferred file size: 2,519,692,100 bytes
Literal data: 1,417,959,957 bytes
Matched data: 25,555,208 bytes
File list size: 6,112,741
File list generation time: 0.108 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 2,142,546
Total bytes received: 1,438,964,797
sent 2,142,546 bytes  received 1,438,964,797 bytes  93,739.70 bytes/sec
total size is 389,861,393,380  speedup is 270.53
DoneGen: 64 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 438321
filesTotal, 389861393380 sizeTotal, 0 filesNew, 0 sizeNew, 0 sizeNewComp,
6728800 inode
rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24)
at main.c(1676) [generator=3.1.2.0]
rsync_bpc exited with benign status 24 (6144)

The next two shares points back up without any problems.  In fact, on
subsequent runs in the log file (each time it ran it seemed to just append to
the same log file as it didn't consider that job "complete") this first share
no longer had any of the above missing or open file error messages.

Then the final one, which is the dovecot IMAP store:

full backup started for directory /var/spool/imap
Xfer PIDs are now 20992
This is the rsync child about to exec /usr/local/bin/rsync_bpc
ERROR: destination must be a directory when copying more than 1 file
Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0 filesTotal, 0
sizeTotal, 0 filesNew, 0 sizeNew, 0 sizeNewComp, 6594872 inode
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(623)
[Receiver=3.1.2.0]
rsync_bpc exited with fatal status 3 (768) (rsync error: errors selecting
input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(623) [Receiver=3.1.2.0])
Xfer PIDs are now
Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share /var/spool/imap)
Backup aborted by user signal

Not sure what to make of that...

If I look on the backup server under the pc folder I see:

drwxr-x---  3 backuppc backuppc   29 May  2 01:50 f%2fvar%2fspool%2fimap

so it *is* a folder, not a file, and under that the fdovecot and fmail and the
user folders are all directories.

Anyway, after that failure, the summary/cleanup looks pretty normal I think:

BackupFailCleanup: nFilesTotal = 573564, type = full, BackupCase = 2, inPlace =
1, lastBkupNum =
BackupFailCleanup: inPlace with some new files... no cleanup and marking partial
Running BackupPC_refCountUpdate -h xserve1 -f on xserve1
Xfer PIDs are now 20994
BackupPC_refCountUpdate: host xserve1 got 0 errors (took 4578 secs)
Xfer PIDs are now
Finished BackupPC_refCountUpdate (running time: 4579 sec)
Xfer PIDs are now

So, seeing that on subsequent runs the first share points all back up properly
now, just the IMAP is having problems, and that error message about destination
must be a directory is consistent.

Should I just manually delete all the backups for this host and start over?
Would that help?  IF SO: What is the best way to do that?

Thanks, if you got this far!  :)

 Steve