BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] version 4 upgrade

2017-03-17 08:14:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] version 4 upgrade
From: "Philip Parsons (Velindre - Medical Physics)" <Philip.Parsons AT wales.nhs DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:58:29 +0000

Hi,

Apologies, if this has been asked loads already!

I had an installation of backuppc v3.3 (I think) and installed via apt-get on debian.

I’ve wanted to be able to copy the data to an offsite server for a while and v4.0 seems to be the sensible solution.

I saw on the backuppc site that v4.0 was available, but it didn’t appear in the package lists.  So I downloaded the tarball and upgraded from that. Using configure.pl.

I’ve installed the two other pre requisites for v4 as well.

I also copied over the old hosts file over the new one.

Unfortunately, the backuppc service will now not start.  It says that I need to check config.pl, however, config.pl seems reasonable – but I’m not really sure what I might be looking for and the error message doesn’t give me any specifics.  I’ve noticed that the config.pl header has copyright 2001-2013 and I seem to recall seeing a more recent date in the header at some point, so I’m not sure if something has gone wrong with the creation of config.pl.

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but on the first attempt at upgrading the script found config.pl in /etc/BackupPC (confdir), but my working confdir was actually in /etc/backuppc which I subsequently changed and re-ran the script.  My topdir was in /data/BackupPC, but this seems to be pointed to by /var/lib/backuppc.  I think at some point I may have changed the cgi and install dir’s to /usr/share/... too – I have a feeling the default is /usr/local?

I could of course do a fresh install of backuppc on the other server and move the pool over, but that seems like a lot of work as well.  I’m wondering if this might be the most appropriate solution at this point – try to tidy up the directories to their defaults etc

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Phil.