BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Interrupted rsyncd backups on Backuppc4 and rsyncTMP.XXXX files, these files never get cleaned out.

2017-01-31 16:04:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Interrupted rsyncd backups on Backuppc4 and rsyncTMP.XXXX files, these files never get cleaned out.
From: Mike Dresser <mdresser_l AT windsormachine DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:45:09 -0500
One thing I've noticed on backuppc 4.0.0alpha3 is that if an rsyncd
backup is interrupted(server crash, someone rebooted the server, etc),
it leaves behind a rsyncTmp.pid.y.z file in the main host directory,
like ./hostname/309/rsyncTmp.8869.0.4

On the next backup, this file gets copied to 310, but never gets
deleted.  If you back up a 200gb file and it fails, and then do another
10 incrementals you'll now have 2 TB of disk space used that will never
come back since each new backup copies the old backup as a starting
point.  If a future backup fails, you'll now have multiple rsyncTMP files.

I had a server with 22TB disk space that had an extra 16 TB of files
like this...  Couldn't figure out why my pool stats were nothing like
what the disk actually had.

Suggestion would be to have the copy command that runs when a backup is
started delete any leftover files that are named like that.

Mike