BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't write 32786 bytes to socket

2017-01-24 15:04:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't write 32786 bytes to socket
From: John Spitzer <johned9999 AT comcast DOT net>
To: "absolutely_free AT libero DOT it" <absolutely_free AT libero DOT it>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:02:10 -0800
Hello,

I have also been working to fix this error in my setup. I am running BackupPC version 3.3.1, and using rsyncd as the transfer method. In my case the fix was to increase the timeout value in the rsyncd.conf file to 2400. The files I am backing up are VM disk image files and range in size up to 50 GBytes.

In the BackupPC configuration under the Xfer panel for the Rsyncd method, there is the RsyncArgs parameter, you can add the parameter --timeout=<TIMESECS> and this may be helpful also. For me I did need to use it.

I don't know anything about the internals of BackupPC but based on my tracing and logging of the issue, the problem seems to be caused by a timeout of a read by the rsyncd daemon. I think there is a PIPE open between a BackupPC process and the rsyncd daemon. Rsyncd read times out and causes the writer to get a SIGPIPE. This seems to be much more likely to happen on very large files.

I have another thread open here as: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket

I'm not an expert on BackupPC and this is just my experience.

Good Luck,
John