BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] off site replication of backuppc

2017-01-20 11:04:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] off site replication of backuppc
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:04:15 +0200
On 01/20/2017 05:41 PM, Philip Parsons (Velindre - Medical Physics) wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have been using backuppc to backup a few of our systems.  We would
> like to have a replication server off site.  Is this possible? Can I
> just use rsync to copy the pool?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

Hi Phil,

In short, your options are to use BackupPC v3 with ZFS or btrfs (or even
block level replication such as RDBD) and replicate the filesystem
through snapshots, or to use BackupPC v4 with any of the above or rsync.
This is due to rsync being slow with hardlinks, and BackupPC v4 no
longer depending on them.

Check the list archives for more detailed answers, this question has
been answered many times before.

A different approach is to run a separate, secondary instance of
BackupPC with the same settings.

Best regards,
Johan Ehnberg