BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket

2017-01-16 15:39:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails with aborted by signal=PIPE, Can't write to socket
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:38:50 -0600
On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 2:13 PM, John Spitzer <johned9999 AT comcast DOT net>
wrote:
> I have BackupPC setup with three host configurations to backup three
> separate areas of one system. Two of the hosts configurations are
> working. One repeatedly fails with the messages:
>
> Can't write 33792 bytes to socket
> Can't write 35328 bytes to socket
> Got fatal error during xfer (aborted by signal=PIPE)

This basically means you lost the connection to the client or the
remote side crashed.

> The first time this happened I deleted the entire backup for this host.
> It then works for a few backup cycles but then fails again. The back
> cycles were able to make a full, two incremental, a full, two
> incremental. Then it failed again with these same errors on a full backup.

Do you have NAT gateways or stateful firewalls in the network path?
These can time out connections if they are idle for a certain amount
of time, and backuppc can spend a long time comparing unchanged files
without transferring anything.

> I have set the logging level to 8 to try and capture more data. There is
> the portion of the log for the file that is failing and the previous file:

You probably won't see a cause on the backuppc side.  Just the PIPE
signal when the connection drops.