BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Data integrity checks

2017-01-02 07:48:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Data integrity checks
From: Andreas Piening <andreas.piening AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 13:47:00 +0100
Hi Jan,

the file based deduplication is baed on checksums, so if a new file is stored with the same name and file-size it will only be stored as a new file if the checksum is different. If the checksum is different, a hard link will be used to point at the already existing copy.
But these checksums are used for deduplication only and as far as I know there is no additional integrity check, for example on a restore.

Honestly I don’t think it is really needed. I’m using a ZFS volume for backuppc which has build in block level checksums for integrity.
Probably this is an option for you?

Kind regards

Andreas