BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] securing ssh keys on backuppc server

2016-08-23 19:13:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] securing ssh keys on backuppc server
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:44:22 +0200

Your only real option at this stage is look at hardware key storage such a a yubikey. This means that key material can't be removed but you can still auth to the backed up systems via the hardware key. This limits the attack to being started from the system with the hardware module, this only moves the problem about in your example as physical access and password resets can be used to backdoor the backup server fairly quickly.