BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] securing ssh keys on backuppc server

2016-07-28 08:12:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] securing ssh keys on backuppc server
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: lanceh1412-business AT yahoo.co DOT uk, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:11:42 -0400
On 07/28 10:53 , lanceh1412-business AT yahoo.co DOT uk wrote:
> Just trying to harden security. My concern is if someone had physical access
> to backuppc server they could easily logon as backuppc user by resetting the
> password and therefore gain access to the ssh keys. Now I see it is possible
> to put the ssh keys in an encrypted private
> directory (See EncryptedPrivateDirectory - Community Help Wiki). This would
> mean that even if someone could reset the password and logon as backuppc they
> wouldn't have access to the keys.
> Has anyone done this or would recommend this way or got any other suggestions?

My logic for my setup is:
if someone has access to the BackupPC server, they have all the data on all
the computers being backed up. At that point, the risk is whether they could
modify data on the live server.

To avoid that risk, I don't allow the BackupPC server write access to the
machines being backed up, only read access. The restores aren't really much
more inconvenient (I tend to use tar+netcat for restores on Linux boxen, and
zipfile downloads on Windows boxen), and I feel like I have more confidence
that I'm not going to accidentally clobber the wrong data.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator