BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of virtual machines

2016-07-04 09:10:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of virtual machines
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 23:09:19 +1000

On 4/07/2016 22:01, Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer wrote:

I don't use xenserver but my generic advice as a strategy would be to backup the contents of the VMs rather than the raw virtual disks.

Effetively treating the guests as if they were physical systems. The raw virtual disk files will be large but also non-unique so will cost a lot more

in storage space in your backups and potentially take a lot more time to backup. Backing up the files contained within the VMs should save space

with BackupPC in taking full advantage of single instance storage of repeated files in your pool common to many users or host systems.

Invariably it is the data rather than an operating system that is usually most important to keep, so you may choose to only keep a subset within each VM

of the unique data and configs etc. However it may be no harm to include a single backup of a "template" of your base operating system of the VM to which

you may subsequently restore data files to, particularly if your guest OS are heavily customised and rebuilds are complex or time consuming

to recreate from scratch.

That may aid a quicker recovery situation and gives you a hypervisor and potentially OS agnostic recovery option route should you need it compared

to say taking VM system state snapshots and backing those up for example.

FYI, I use backuppc to backup the content of my VM's as above, except I make use of my storage backend to assist (I use Xen instead of XenServer, so some of this may not apply to your environment).

I use the pre-backup script from backuppc to connect to my SAN and run a script which:
1) Takes a LVM snapshot of the VM (disk) to be backed up
2) Uses kpartx to scan for partitions
3) Uses mount to mount each partition on the SAN server at a VM specific mountpoint

Then, backuppc will backup the VM specific mountpoint of the SAN
Finally, I use the post-backup script from backuppc to connect to my SAN and run a cleanup script which reverses the above.

So far, this is working well for me.

PS, I also do remote off-site image backups, but I only have two copies of the remote images, yesterday and current, where one of those can be incomplete.

IMHO, you should do both file level backups of the contents, in case a user accidentally deletes a file, or some crypto-locker virus, as well as image level backups in case of crypto locker, malicious damage, or serious system crash/disaster.

Emphasis placed on crypto locker solutions, been bitten and saved more than once thanks to backups.