BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

2016-06-01 12:47:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 11:47:24 -0500
On 2016-06-01 10:56, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> On 5/31/2016 4:28 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Jeff Boyce wrote on 2016-05-31 13:40:20 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
>> Win 10 issue with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME]:
>>> On 5/26/2016 1:51 PM, Jeff Boyce wrote:
>>> [......]
>>> Ok I solved all my backup issues, so this post will give a summary of
>>> what worked for me and hopefully help others.
>>> [...]
>>> I was unable to connect to the default C$ share for conducting the
>>> backup.  [...]
>>>
>>> So in *almost* all of my desktop boxes that are backing up to
>>> BackupPC
>>> they are using these same settings and the Users share.  I am not
>>> sure
>>> what is going on internally in the Windows networking that doesn't
>>> allow
>>> smbclient to connect to the default C$ share, but I am sure that
>>> something within Windows is stopping it.
>> stupid question: is it possible to connect to an administrative share
>> with
>> user (i.e. non-admin) credentials?
> For all of my office Windows desktop systems the users are setup as
> administrative users, so I don't have any non-admin users to test what
> think you are asking.  robynr is an admin user on the Win10 box below.
> But as shown below I list the shares on a new Win10 box, then access
> the
> Users share, then try accessing the ADMIN$ share with the same
> credentials.  I get the same results when trying the C$ share as with
> the ADMIN$ share shown below.  But I am not sure if this is where you
> were going with your question.
>
> [root@bacteria ~]# su -s /bin/bash backuppc
> bash-4.1$
> bash-4.1$ smbclient -L rdr-lat6540 -U robynr
> Enter robynr's password:
> Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro
> 6.3]
>
>          Sharename       Type      Comment
>          ---------       ----      -------
>          ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
>          C$              Disk      Default share
>          IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
>          print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
>          Users           Disk
> Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro
> 6.3]
>
>          Server               Comment
>          ---------            -------
>
>          Workgroup            Master
>          ---------            -------
> bash-4.1$
> bash-4.1$ smbclient //rdr-lat6540/Users -U robynr
> Enter robynr's password:
> Domain=[RDR-LAT6540] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 10586] Server=[Windows 10 Pro
> 6.3]
> smb: \> dir
>    .                                  DR        0  Tue Mar  1 20:34:09
> 2016
>    ..                                 DR        0  Tue Mar  1 20:34:09
> 2016
> [...]

It's worth pointing out that the original point of the administrative
shares were to provide hidden administrative access to a system in a
network without too much trouble.  It soon became clear that this wasn't
necessarily the most security-conscious idea, so a number of layers of
security and automatic disabling of the administrative shares were built
up over time, so by the time one reaches Windows 10, you've gotten to
dozens of layers of features that exist for legacy reasons and new
features that exist to shore them up and disable them in one way or
another.  There are many, many ways to disable access to the
administrative shares, and I generally wouldn't recommend using this
feature that has been deprecated since XP, but still exists for legacy
reasons.

At any rate, the Admin$ share normally points to where Windows is
installed; this means that for it to work, a number of things need to be
operational -- simple file sharing must be off, the account used must
have valid credentials, that account must have administrative privileges
AND appropriate rights on the Windows directories, about a dozen
policies must be set to their defaults (relaxing UAC permissions, for
example, can result in denial of the Admin$ share) and the services must
be running.  Domains complicate things considerably; since I don't
believe they're involved, we'll ignore them for now.

New Windows features have the effect of disabling some of these legacy
features -- for example, turning on the "HomeGroup" feature will turn
off the administrative shares.  Some anti-malware programs, registry
"cleaners" and anti-virus programs helpfully turn off the administrative
shares as dangerous malware vectors, as would getting rid of, say, a
Conficker infection.

At any rate, if it's not one of the more obvious things, the sphere of
things that can disable the administrative shares is astoundingly large,
and Windows itself is little help as there's not a lot of diagnostic
detail involved in tracing down permission denied issues in deprecated
features.  If it's not obvious what was changed on one of the systems,
you may get some mileage out of Microsoft's Fixit solutions, which do
some general-purpose registry and library corrections.  Otherwise, you
may need to consider re-imaging and keeping to a more solid baseline.

On a side note, I do regularly back up the registries of our Windows
systems using BackupPC; naturally, this is something that stock SMB
cannot handle due to its inability to handle open files.  I use a
rsync/vshadow client that I published when I gave up on SMB, although a
simple export of the registry would work equally well.