BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2012 server issues

2016-05-25 11:13:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2012 server issues
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 09:31:22 -0500
On 2016-05-25 09:05, Gerald Brandt wrote:
> On 2016-05-24 05:58 PM, Phil Kennedy wrote:
>
>> What errors are you seeing? If it's the tar:712 error, that has been
>> discussed in the list archives; the patch for the recent badlock
>> vulnerabilities changed samba's verbose output in such a manner that
>> the backup runs but does not complete successfully. There is a
>> workaround involving a small change to the Browse.pm and Smb.pm
>> files.
>>
>> The fact that patches were not issued for server 2003 would likely
>> explain why those hosts are still working.
>>
>> (I'd post a link to the relevant discussions, but i'm responding
>> from mobile and can't easily access them. I hate to be the guy that
>> says "just Google it" but that info should get you going in the
>> right direction)
>> ~Phil
>>
>> On May 24, 2016 18:23, "Gerald Brandt" <gbr AT majentis DOT com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a WIndows 2003 Server I back up daily. Using the same
>>> parameters
>>> on WIndows 2012 fails. I currently use smb to do the back from C$.
>>>
>>> Has there been any chnages in smb with 2012?
>>>
>>> Tomorrow, I'll go back to my cywin/rsync scripts and see how that
>>> goes.
>>>
>>> Gerald
>
> Sorry, I thought I pasted in the error log. My bad.
>
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient --option=clientusespnego=no
> \\\\inforcrm.erlphase.local\\C\$ -U Administrator -E -d 1 -c tarmode\
> full -Tc -
> full backup started for share C$
> Xfer PIDs are now 13236,13235
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0
> sizeExistComp, 0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share C$)
> Backup aborted (No files dumped for share C$)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
> prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

First, I should answer the question, "have there been any changes in smb
with 2012?"

Yes, there have, Windows 2012 uses SMB 3.0, whereas Windows 2003 uses
SMB version 1.0.  If your smbclient is sufficiently old, it would not
understand how to communicate with Windows 2012.  Windows 2012 will
downgrade its protocol for older versions of Windows, but not TOO old,
and I note that Windows 2012R2 and certain service packs changed how far
"back" they'll negotiate due to concerns about the security of the
protocols and the need to retire old, unsupported versions;
authentication is even more of an issue as some of the methods that more
up-to-date operating systems enforce are not supported by older clients,
and they are not allowed to authenticate.  Naturally I'm being a bit
vague here, as you didn't bother mentioning what version of Windows or
smbclient you're using.

As a standard troubleshooting step, it's a good idea to try out the
command line (in this case, smbclient) to ensure that it can connect to
the host at all.

Note that the flip side of this issue is that more recent versions of
smbclient have changed their output, and therefore have trouble being
parsed; it doesn't appear that this is what you're running into.