BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted (tar:712 Total bytes received: 86681)

2016-05-12 10:56:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted (tar:712 Total bytes received: 86681)
From: "Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer" <Graham.Smith AT ittdublin DOT ie>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 15:21:03 +0100
I made those amendments to the perl files on my system. Initially it looked
like it completed a full backup sucessfully and I was breathing
a sigh of relief. But I had also set in the config for that host to ignore zero
byte responses from tar ($Conf{BackupZeroFilesIsFatal} = 1;) and that
combined with these amendments meant the backup completed successfully - but it
had actually not backed up any data at all!

My backups are a lot of very small files and a normal full backup can take 2-3
days. So I was suspicious when it had finished within
a couple of hours - which would be ok for an incremental but far too soon for a
full backup.

I'm somewhat reticent to rollback to an earlier samba 4.1.6 as I don't want to
risk a dependency mess that ends up costing me
more time and effort in resolving later. I had a brief look at rolling back
with apt and aptitude and it looked somewhat risky.

I also thought maybe I could just get the required smbclient and related
dependency binaries and put them in place manually by
renaminmg the existing ones and simlinking to the older binaries. But getting a
generic binary was harder than I thought!
Samba only provides source. Switching to use rsync on the windows side instead
of smb might be the easiest short term fix.
I read somewhere that only requires 4 files and one of them running a service,
I'll have to look into that.

But the sooner a patch is released that fixes this all the main distros the
better (in my case Debian Jessie).

One thing I'm learning from this is containerizing my backuppc using dockapps
in a modular fashion and possibly virtualisting
that so I could have snapshots of the system state would be very useful in this
sort of situation.
Ordinarily when something goes wrong with a system you can rely on backups but
when the problem is the backup system,
the stakes are higher!

G.

_____________________________________
Graham Smith
Technical Officer
Department of Computing
Institute of Technology Tallaght
Tallaght
Dublin 24
Ireland

//quoted:
After making changes to the Smb.pm and Browse.pm files, I have 2 Windows
servers backing up and 4 in the process of backing up.

The only change I made was that indicated in this post:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1111264&action=diff

Browse.pm  changed this:

if ( !defined($In{num}) && defined(@Backups) && @Backups > 0 ) {

if ( !defined($In{num}) && @Backups > 0 ) {

Smb.pm changed this:

From

} elsif ( /^\s*tar: dumped \d+ files/ ) {

} elsif ( /^\s*tar: dumped \d+ files/
                || /Total bytes received: \d+/i
          ) {

and inserted this line

|| /^tar:\d+/

 between:

} elsif ( /smb: \\>/

and

|| /^\s*added interface/i

so it reads:

} elsif ( /smb: \\>/
|| /^tar:\d+/
|| /^\s*added interface/i

I hope this speeds up someones resolution.

|This was sent by tschmid4@... via Backup Central.
|Forward SPAM to abuse@...

The contents and any attachment of this e-mail are private and confidential.
They are intended only for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not
the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the
intended addressee, you are notified that any copying, forwarding, publication,
review or delivery of this e-mail or any attachments to anyone else or any
other use of its contents is strictly prohibited. You are prohibited from
reading any part of this e-mail or any attachments.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the system manager.  Unauthorised disclosure or
communication or other use of the contents of this e-mail or any part thereof
may be prohibited by law and may constitute a criminal offence. Internet
e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Institute does not accept
responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.  Unless
stated to the contrary, any opinions expressed in this message are personal to
the author and may not be attributed to the Institute.