BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Random Daily Backups remain idle, can be started manually 4.

2016-04-16 07:16:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Random Daily Backups remain idle, can be started manually 4.
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 21:15:30 +1000

On 16/04/2016 07:31, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Tony Schreiner
> <anthony.schreiner AT bc DOT edu> wrote:
>>> I will increase
>>> MaxBackups and MaxUserBackups from 2 to 6
>>> to see if it makes any difference.
> MaxBackups is the number that will be scheduled to run concurrently;
> MaxUserBackups controls what you can start manually.  The optimal
> value will depend very much on your hardware.  Often running 2
> concurrently will complete the whole set faster than 6 due to less
> disk head and RAM contention.

Just to make this clearer, 2 is probably the right value, maybe 3 or 4,
but probably not as high as 6, unless the machines you are backing up
are on the end of very slow links, and/or your backuppc server is
extremely fast (disk IO, and RAM).
>>> I think the WakeupSchedule setting was changed to [23]
>>> a few years ago to prevent slowing the network down during production hours.
>>>
>>> If the number in MaxBackups is set correctly, does BackupPC need to wake
>>> multiple times?
> A wakeup with nothing to do won't slow your network.  Your production
> hours should be in the blackout window.
This is most likely your problems.

You should seriously consider changing this to something like:
$Conf{WakeupSchedule} = [ 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,
21, 22, 23, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ];

That way, your daily cleanup will happen at 10am, which will not affect
any other servers. (Assuming you don't run anything other than backuppc
on the backuppc server).
Then, backuppc will wake up each hour, and do nothing because:
a) The target server has been backed up less than one day ago
b) The target server has been online for more than your blackout good count
c) The target server has a blackout period defined, which starts at
least full backup duration prior to your "business hours"

Then, make sure you have defined the blackout period correctly.

>> i believe an individual wakeup  will only queue backups that are ready
>> to go, i.e. have their IncrPeriod or FullPeriod used up. In most cases
>> you need multiple wakeups.
> And, the first wakeup in the list starts the nightly cleanup which
> should happen at a time when the backup runs are expected to be
> complete.

Running the daily will also prevent other backups from running in
parallel, up to a certain limit MaxPendingCmds. Change the time of your
daily, and set your wakeupschedule. Your first backup can probably start
much earlier, eg, 10pm, and you should have wakeup schedules every hour.

Possibly you could want to exclude any wakeup during "business hours",
though almost always, this is wrong. If it is more critical to keep the
server working than to do an overdue backup, then you might look at
this, though like I said, it is usually the wrong solution...

Regards,
Adam