BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd excludes problem (3.2.1)

2016-03-29 13:58:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd excludes problem (3.2.1)
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:57:56 -0500
On 2016-03-29 10:17, Benjamin Redling wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> my exclude list seems to be defunct since adding a few absolute paths
> via the web interface. Recently(?) /tmp subdirectories and absolute
> paths (/anonuser... see below) are filling up the discs.
> XferMethod is rsyncd, shouldn't '*/tmp' avoid this?

No, '*/tmp' will avoid backing up any files named "tmp" or any empty
subdirectories named "tmp" as long as they are NOT in the root of the
share -- but it will not exclude any files IN directories named "tmp",
which, from your description, is probably what you want.

It may help to imagine that rsync makes a list of files and directories
relative to the share, and then applies your excludes to it to eliminate
things from that list.  As you might guess, */tmp doesn't match a lot of
things on that list such as tmp/filename.

Also note that exclude paths are relative, so if you want to match /tmp
in the root of the share, the proper exclude to use is simply 'tmp'.

If you want to exclude anything in a subdirectory named tmp, then 'tmp/'
should do the trick.

> Did a restart of backuppc after every change.

That's unnecessary.

>> From the config.pl:
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     '*/tmp',
>     '*/.cache',
>     '*/temp',
>     '*/Cache',
>     '*/cache',
>     '/anonuser1/usenet-de/per-group',
>     '/anonuser2/sub-dir1/sub-dir2/models',
>     '/anonuser3/downloads',
>     '*/privat*',
>     '*/ImapMail',
>     '*.iso',
>     '*.ISO',
>     '*/.macromedia',
>     '*/.local/share/Trash',
>     '*.ogg',
>     '*.OGG',
>     '*.mp3',
>     '*.MP3',
>     '*.mp4',
>     '*.MP4'
>   ]
> };
>
> I've also tried putting the new paths to an explicitly defined share:
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     '*/tmp',
>     '*/.cache',
>     '*/temp',
>     '*/Cache',
>     '*/cache'
>   ],
>   'home' => [
>     '/anonuser1/usenet-de/per-group',
>     '/anonuser2/sub-dir1/sub-dir2/models',
>     '/anonuser3/downloads',
>     '*/privat*',
>     '*/ImapMail',
>     '*.iso',
>     '*.ISO',
>     '*/.macromedia',
>     '*/.local/share/Trash',
>     '*.ogg',
>     '*.OGG',
>     '*.mp3',
>     '*.MP3',
>     '*.mp4',
>     '*.MP4'
>   ]
> };
>
> BackupPC 3.2.1-2ubuntu1.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, x86_64
>
> What am I doing wrong?

(see above)  I assume the extension exclusions are more-or-less working
as you expect them to.  You may want to review the Xferlog.