BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backupPC and NFS slow performance

2016-03-25 12:24:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backupPC and NFS slow performance
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:23:05 -0400
NFS just isn't going to perform very well with lots of small files & directories, or other metadata-intensive operations.

I presume that the NFS server is an appliance of some sort (Netapp, etc), but if it's just a *nix server, running backuppc on the server would be much faster.

Dariusz Adamczyk wrote:
Hello, i tested BackupPC, and i would like to ask how to make better performance with NFS.
I have local server and backuppc on it, and I want to save backup on NFS (mounted to this server). I tweaked NFS mount  with noatime,nodiratime,rsize=65536,wsize=65536 (i have gigabit connection) but transfer is very low. I tried tar and rsync option and i dont see any differences, Since nfs dont allow me to set owner and group on it I disabled this options in config and simillar to this. i turned off compression.  I have a lot of small files and dir. i dont have idea what can I tweak..
After all tweaks stats are: 16GB in 512min! it says 1.8Mb/s .

--
Dan Pritts
ICPSR Computing & Network Services