BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] 2016-era best practices for macs

2016-03-01 10:16:36
Subject: [BackupPC-users] 2016-era best practices for macs
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 10:15:52 -0500
Hi all,

It's been a while since I followed BackupPC closely, although I have
been using it to back up linux clients for at least 10 years.

I'd like to start backing up a mac, and I'm concerned about resource
forks.  I realize that resource forks aren't as big a deal as they used
to be, but a quick find showed several existing files with resource
forks, and I certainly want my backup solution to be fire-and-forget.

I recall many years ago, there was someone who backed up tons of macs
using backuppc with "XTar" as the transport - it's a tar that supports
resource forks somehow.  Xtar still is available for download, but it
hasn't been updated since 2004.

Similarly, there's old discussion out there about hfstar, a set of
patches to gnu tar.  Also hasn't been updated in forever.

The backuppc docs note in passing that tar works, but I wonder if there
are caveats - e.g., does my pool filesystem need to support extended
attributes natively?  It seems like modern rsync's -X option will
transfer the xattr's but expects the remote filesystem to support them
(seems reasonable).

So - any current best practices?   Can backuppc run rsync "natively"
somehow, that is, without File::RsyncP but rather by calling rsync on
the server?

thanks
danno
--