BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPPC 4 -- rsync_bpc using very large amount of memory

2015-11-11 13:24:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPPC 4 -- rsync_bpc using very large amount of memory
From: George Avrunin <avrunin AT math.umass DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:41:19 -0500
I have a new machine with 32 gig of memory running Fedora (now upgraded
to Fedora 23 from 22) and I decided to try BackupPC 4.0.0.alpha3 on it.  It
has been working fine for a couple of weeks, as far as I can tell, but
today I had to do a backup of a laptop (also running Fedora 23) while I was
working on the backup server, and I noticed tremendous lags. top says that
rsync_bpc is using 95% of memory and free says:

           total        used        free      shared  buff/cache available
Mem:       32854592  32237588      172360      120776  444644      339248
Swap:      67108860    22412576    44696284

There are actually two rsync_bpc processes running, one that's using all
that memory and the other using hardly any.  Firefox is next in the memory
listing in top, using .6% of memory.

Is this reasonable for rsync_bpc?  If so, is there a way to limit the
memory used by rsync_bpc?  And if it's not reasonable, what should I be
checking?  I've used BackupPC for a long time, but this is my first
experimentation with 4.0.

Thanks,

  George