BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Command line restore

2015-11-09 12:10:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Command line restore
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "absolutely_free AT libero DOT it" <absolutely_free AT libero DOT it>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:07:47 +0100
Hi,

absolutely_free AT libero DOT it wrote on 2015-11-09 16:24:29 +0100
[[BackupPC-users] Command line restore]:
> Hi,I am using BackupPC 3.2.1-4 (official Debian package).Is there a way to
> launch a restore process through command line?

yes.

> I mean, I don't want to create a tar / zip archive. I need to restore files
> to original server.Thank you very much

Considering the web server doesn't do the restore itself but rather instructs
the BackupPC server to do so, there must be a way.

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: In case you were wondering *how* to launch a restore via command line,
      it's a bit complicated. The command as such is something like

      where <ip> should probably be the IP address of <host> (but will
      apparently be looked up(*) if it isn't - presuming some piece of code
      doesn't complain first), <user> is only for logging purposes, if I
      remember correctly, and <request file> might be somewhat difficult
      to construct. Technically speaking, it isn't, it's just a Data::Dumper
      dump of a Perl hash containing the relevant information. So, what is
      the relevant information? Let's do it the easy way (for both you and
      me): initiate a restore from the web interface (and make sure to either
      direct it somewhere it won't do any harm or make (absolutely) sure you
      actually can't restore; better yet, do both), and after it has completed
      or failed, look in $TopDir/pc/<host> for a file named RestoreInfo.n (and
      unless that turns out to be RestoreInfo.0, you can skip that part and
      just look at one of the preexisting files straightaway). Figure out what
      the individual hash entries mean and fill the values to match your needs.
      You can probably get away with setting 'num' => -1 to always refer to
      the latest backup and leaving 'reqTime' as it is (even though that will,
      strictly speaking, be incorrect), but I'd test that, just to be sure.
      Hint: for a full restore, I get "fileList => [ '/' ]" (among other hash
      entries).

      As always, you need to run BackupPC_serverMesg as the backuppc user.

      Hope that helps.

      (*) As I read the code, <host> will be looked up if <ip> doesn't look
          like an IP. You might expect <ip> to be looked up, but that
          apparently is not the case.