BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs

2015-10-19 15:29:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Nicola Ferrari (#554252)" <nicolafrr AT yahoo DOT it>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:26:23 +0200
Hi,

Nicola Ferrari (#554252) wrote on 2015-10-17 10:26:51 +0200 [Re:
[BackupPC-users] Backuppc and acls / xattrs]:
> [...]
> Sorry but I cant understand. -A -X options are already activated in the
> rsync command in my xfer configuration in backuppc.
> Do I have to upgrade to BackupPC 4.0 ?

as far as I know, ACLs and extended attributes are neither supported in
BackupPC 3.x nor in 4.x. Support in 4.x will probably be added in a future
version, in 3.x that is highly unlikely. That is not a bug as such, it is
simply a feature that has not been implemented (yet).

> [...]
> So the one that comes installed with backuppc in debian, isn't the
> "original" rsync executable?

BackupPC 3.x does not use native rsync at all on the server side, it uses the
Perl module File::RsyncP. This only supports certain options. In 4.x this was
changed to a patched version of rsync written in C (possibly stripped down to
not support options that BackupPC can't handle).

The general problem with options like -A and -X is that the additional
information needs to be *stored* somewhere in the backup - e.g. in an attrib
file for 3.x or the database for 4.x. That doesn't just magically happen but
rather needs to be carefully designed and implemented, taking into
consideration what other similar meta-data there might be now or in the
future. As there are workarounds available (dump the information into a file
in a pre-backup script), Craig's main focus is probably on stable backup
functionality first and "features" later on.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger