BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] All incr fail(SIGPIPE) all full complete - cygwin/W7

2015-09-11 12:57:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] All incr fail(SIGPIPE) all full complete - cygwin/W7
From: fred AT damen DOT org
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:55:52 -0500
On Thu, September 10, 2015 8:33 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 7:42 PM,  <fred AT damen DOT org> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am having a problem in which incremental backups fail with(XFerlog):
>> Child is aborting
>> Got exit from child
>> Done: 1 files, 544 bytes
>> Got fatal error during xfer (aborted by signal=PIPE)
>> Backup aborted by user signal
>>
>> shortly after rsync on the client seems to be looking for files to transfer,
>> i.e., large number of files that do not need to be backed up, and not
>> currently transferring any (client log):
>> 2015/09/10 18:32:51 [7572] connect from server (172.29.35.70)
>> 2015/09/10 18:32:51 [7572] rsync on . from backuppc@sevver (172.29.35.70)
>> 2015/09/10 18:32:51 [7572] building file list
>> 2015/09/10 18:35:35 [7572] rsync: [sender] write error: Connection reset by
>> peer (104)
>> 2015/09/10 18:35:35 [7572] rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
>> io.c(820) [sender=3.1.1]
>>
>> Form the Wireshark log on the backuppc server(linux) during this time frame
>> it
>> appears as though the client(172.29.35.65)'s rsync is sending a RST(reset),
>> packet no. 4918.
>>
>> Any ideas? Both client and server logs are pointing at the other as the
>> culprit.
>>
>> The strange thing is, the full backups work fine.
>>
>> The above test was done with both the client and server pretty idle.
>>
>> This is consistent among 10+ clients for a long time.
>>
>> Nothing in between client and server but a switch.
>>
>> Any insights welcomed.
>>

> That scenario is pretty common when there is a nat gateway involved,
> but a stateful host firewall could also time out the connection and
> start blocking after some amount of idle time.

The networking device connecting the two computers is a highly configurable
Cisco router and I am told that it was configured to act as a simple switch
between the computers on the LAN.  I would not be surprised if the traffic is
routed up through the router and back down through the router between the
server and client.  Do you have references or what can I google to get more
info on this?  I will need ammo to convince the administrator of the router
that it is their problem.  I will try connecting server and client using a
'simple' switch.

I do not suspect that the firewall on the server and/or client as there
appears to be KeepAlive messages going back and forth.  Three minutes seems to
be a short time for a timeout.  Why does the client rsync appear to be sending
a reset?  How can this timeout be changed?  I did not see any option for this
when I setup the firewall rules for the rsync connection.  Also I remember
testing this once with the firewall on the client shutoff, with the same
results.

Thanks,

Fred