BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Archive Failing

2015-06-01 18:13:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Archive Failing
From: "Henry Burroughs" <hburroughs AT stjohnseagles DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 14:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
Check dmesg and see if you are having hardware errors on the drive.  Make sure it is not failing

Henry

Henry B. Burroughs, III

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Random <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

My company runs BackupPC on an Ubuntu machine. Everything typically run without any problems until the other day when, out the blue, an archive started failing. (I run it manually twice a month). I've tried to run it twice and it's failed each time with the same error. (Will paste below) I'm using the same backup drive that I've been using, so the permissions haven't change. The archive runs part way, before failing, so I can see two backup files show up on the drive, but not the other 4. Individually, the all 6 machines are backing up as usual, except a 20000 millisecond timeout issue that happens periodically. (An issue I recently discovered but don't believe is related to my current problem).
Here's the error that I get:
Archive failed (Error: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate, compress or split failed)

I've checked both the archive log and backupPC's log via the web interface and they both list the same error.

What could be going wrong?

Thanks.