BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of files

2015-05-23 09:31:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of files
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 15:29:25 +0200
Hi,

Timothy J Massey wrote on 2015-05-23 08:40:21 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
BackupPC_tarCreate with only certain types of?files]:
> [...]
> In this instance, I was able to come up with enough free space to be able
> to do the complete restore and then grab the data I needed from that.

for the archives: you don't strictly *need* the free space. You can pipe the
output of BackupPC_tarCreate directly into a 'tar x' and tell tar to only
extract files named '*.pdf', something like

        BackupPC_tarCreate -h host -n 123 -s /share /path \
                | tar xf - --wildcards '*.pdf' '*.PDF'

(just to demonstrate that you can specify more than one glob). This can be
problematic, in a way: if you get something wrong about the tar command line,
you will likely find out that the file(s) you were expecting were not
extracted, and you will need to repeat the whole lengthy process, whereas
with a complete restore, you can simply navigate the result and select
whatever you need.

This seems to be another good case for using the fuse module. You can navigate
the backup view (or run a 'find', 'rsync', ...) at a relatively low cost and
only need to read/decompress the file data you actually act on - and you don't
need any intermediate storage space.

Regards,
Holger