BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails to start in daemon mode on Ubuntu 14.04

2015-05-14 05:43:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC fails to start in daemon mode on Ubuntu 14.04
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 10:41:47 +0100

On 2015-05-13 03:41, Stoyan Stoyanov wrote:

Hi Holger,

While it seems like a packaging issue, there are no bug reports on launchpad, so I thought maybe someone on this list stumbled upon this problem. Unfortunately, nothing gets recorded in the LOG file. I ran perl in debug mode, but the program exits right after forking the child process so there is nothing really that hints on what the problem might be. Same code taken out of the context of the BackupPC script works fine i.e. child is forked and doesn't die immediately.

Stoyan

Hi Stoyan,

Does the system that BackupPC fails to start on have ldap configured?

I have this problem too and was looking at it again following your email, I noticed from strace that a called was being made to .ldaprc during backuppc startup.

I have removed all ldap config and packages from the server and backuppc now starts correctly.

I know this isn't a fix but at least it's a step forward.

I removed libnss-ldap auth-client-config ldap-auth-config ldap-auth-client libpam-ldap

I reran pam-auth-config and disabled the auto creation of home-dirs and systemd registration that I had enabled for ldap support.