BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] [Bug] potential backups loss after changing $Conf{FullKeepCnt}

2015-04-29 08:35:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] [Bug] potential backups loss after changing $Conf{FullKeepCnt}
From: Alexander Moisseev <moiseev AT mezonplus DOT ru>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:33:52 +0300
Changing of $Conf{FullKeepCnt} could cause unexpected backups removal.

Simple test of BackupPC_dump subroutines: BackupExpire and BackupFullExpire:
https://gist.github.com/moisseev/d5a8a499a7b69b1f0428

This test script illustrates potential unexpected loss of a few backups after
modifying $Conf{FullKeepCnt} setting.

Let incrementals are disabled and we have only full backups.

If we create a new backup and then do expiry check every $Conf{FullPeriod} (or
every day if $Conf{FullPeriod} = 1) then on 128 day we will have 18 backups as
expected for $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ 3, 0, 0, 15 ] :
8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72, 80, 88, 96, 104, 112, 120, 125, 126, 127

Let we have saved full backups for every day, for instance in case
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ 128 ].
After changing $Conf{FullKeepCnt} to [ 3, 0, 0, 15 ] and doing expire, we will
have only 4:
98, 125, 126, 127

Most backups are nuked!

--