BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_fixLinks.pl

2015-04-22 18:20:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_fixLinks.pl
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: gregrwm <backuppc-users AT whitleymott DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 00:15:53 +0200
Hi,

gregrwm wrote on 2015-04-22 11:48:16 -0500 [[BackupPC-users]
BackupPC_fixLinks.pl]:
> i've used BackupPC_fixLinks.pl in the past with success, on RHEL.  i'm
> trying to use it again, this time on ubuntu:
>
>  # sudo -ubackuppc -H ./BackupPC_fixLinks.pl -f -q
> > Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at
> > /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Storage/Text.pm line 302.
> > Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at
> > /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 1425.
> > String found where operator expected at ./BackupPC_fixLinks.pl line 243,
> > near "warnerr "Can't read : $File::Find::name\n""
> >         (Do you need to predeclare warnerr?)

I believe the problem is in line 49:

49> use BackupPC::jLib;

Though there is no error message stating that jLib.pm was not found, this
would explain all of your error messages, both the non-predeclared warnerr and
the global variables. It would also be consistent with the fact that it does
not work on Ubuntu: you probably didn't copy jLib.pm (or perhaps an incorrect
version of it) to /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC ...

On the bright side, this reminds me of why there is no hLib.pm and there never
will be (at least not by me): I believe in self-contained scripts without
dependencies on some version of some non-standard library - almost impossible
to track. Yes, there will be code duplication. If you want to avoid that, roll
everything into one script which uses $0 to decide what to do ;-). Or
distribute everything as .deb packages (libbackuppc-jlib-perl and
backuppc-fixlinks perhaps?) and let rpm-based users figure out how to use
alien (or something equivalent) to install them :).

> any possible clues about an updated or ported version somewhere?

Yes, I've got a 0.3 version here dated something like 2010-12-10, but I can't
make much sense of the diff to your [apparently modified?] 0.2 without closer
investigation. I'll send it to you off-list (along with the advice to never
trust something someone sends you off-list without taking a close look). Note,
though, that that version has the same (implied) dependency on jLib.pm.

Regards,
Holger