BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote backup with VSS

2015-02-28 11:12:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote backup with VSS
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:31:52 -0600
On 2015-02-27 04:58, Antonio Sanguigni wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm pretty new to BackupPC and I think it is a great software.
> Anyway, I'm trying to use BackupPC on a VPS of mine to have remotely
> backup pc. I backupped a couple of windows pc, better to say data
> directory of couple pc, succesfully with cygwin + rsyncd from backuppc
> sourceforge.
>
> Now, I would like to try the same thing but with opened files so the
> Michael Stowe solution seems the best chance using scripts to run
> Windows shadow copy. Reading Michael's documentation here
> http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62 after completed backup there are
> the points to close the entire process, I mean
>
> 1. postusercmd.sh
> 2. sleep.vbs etc..
> 3. unmaps drive etc..
>
> Finally my question. Remote Internet backup is, of course, pretty slow
> compared to LAN one, so what's happen if workstation to backup loose
> its internet line, or if a customer get off pc ? Of course, remote
> backup is not completed but BackupPC will be able to recover it ?
> Shadows copy will still be there ?

Interrupted backups are usually saved as "partial" backups.  Rsync will
start synchronizing and only transfer what needs to be transferred,
though it will always start comparisons from the beginning.

If a connection is merely interrupted, the shadow copy will persist in
the background -- a new backup will start a new shadow copy which may
fail (depending on available space and the OS, though it's possible to
have multiple simultaneous shadow copies.)  Rebooting or shutting down
the system will remove all shadow copies.