BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC-4.0.0alpha3 - Can't create a test hardlink between a file...

2015-02-19 22:34:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC-4.0.0alpha3 - Can't create a test hardlink between a file...
From: Akibu Flash <akibuflash AT outlook DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: 19 Feb 2015 19:32:59 -0800
Thanks Adam. It is what I thought.

Sent from my HTC on T-Mobile 4G LTE

----- Reply message -----
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, Feb 19, 2015 17:37

On 20/02/15 08:32, Akibu Flash wrote:
Igor,

I meant to reply to the group to let them know that the problem had been solved, but your email makes me think that it has not been solved fully. The script runs as user backuppc and apparently user backuppc did not have permission to write to the data locations. Once I fixed the permissions issue, the command start stop command would work and give me an "ok."

What makes me think that the problem has not been solved fully is that when I run the first two of your commands, I get no response (as expected) and the testgram is created properly. However, your third command does gives me an error that I don't understand. Below are the results:

backuppc@linux-pc5:/data/BackupPC/pc$ touch /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram
backuppc@linux-pc5:/data/BackupPC/pc$

backuppc@linux-pc5:/$ ln /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram /data/BackupPC/cpool
backuppc@linux-pc5:/$

backuppc@linux-pc5:/$ rm /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram /data/BackupPC/cpool
rm: cannot remove ‘/data/BackupPC/cpool’: Is a directory

Is the output what was to be expected? A couple of things are throwing me for a loop. First, on the remove command "rm /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram /data/BackupPC/cpool", should that really be "rm /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram /data/BackupPC/cpool/testgram" and is that the nature of the Is a directory error? I presume so. Or should my merely removing the linked target also remove the linked file?

Second, the "could not find valid filesystem superblock error is unclear.

Yes, this error is expected based on the commands you were given. It would help if you understood the commands you run, as sometimes you will be told to run something that could be highly destructive (even if by accident).

In this case, you had the command:
backuppc@linux-pc5:/$ rm /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram /data/BackupPC/cpool
rm: cannot remove ‘/data/BackupPC/cpool’: Is a directory

Which says remove the two files /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram and /data/BackupPC/cpool, but the second is a directory, not a file. So rm is complaining that you asked it to remove a file, but it wasn't a file. The command should have been:
rm /data/BackupPC/pc/testgram /data/BackupPC/cpool/testgram

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au