BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] FreeBSD backups?

2015-02-03 19:13:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] FreeBSD backups?
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:44:40 +1100
On 04/02/15 09:25, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Looking for best practice here. I have converted my workstation from
> Debian to PCBSD. So I'm looking for ideas on what to back up. Since
> the system and the userspace are separate, would it be prudent to back
> up /home and /usr/local (plus the usual suspects like /etc)?
>
> Any suggestions?

My personal preference is to backup *everything*. Anything less than
this, and you will eventually have the situation where the weird config
file wasn't stored in the standard place, and you can't restore it, or
someone wrote a custom script and saved it to /usr/bin instead of
/usr/local/bin etc.... The size of the OS files is generally relatively
small, compress well, and change rarely, therefore minimal cost to
backup those files, even over a remote/slow connection.

Regards,
Adam
--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au