BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up BackupPC pool For Archival

2015-01-15 17:38:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up BackupPC pool For Archival
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:37:19 -0600
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Moeen Chowdhary
<mchowdhary AT wellplan DOT com> wrote:

> Now I would like to determine what’s the best method of backing up the
> backups themselves for long-term archival.  I realize that I can just
> configure backuppc to keep more full backups for a longer period of time,
> however that’s not ideal especially since the archives are not changing and
> only rarely need to be restored, and also I need a way to store it on
> removable media offsite.

Note that additional backups of things that don't change consume very
little additional space so you might as well keep them as long as you
think you might need to restore something.

> I would assume that we could just copy the /var/lib/backuppc/ folder and all
> of its contents to an external drive, but then what would the restore method
> be?  To restore, would I copy the files back to the live backup server? Or
> an alternate server?   Is there another means of permanent archival method
> that’s built into backuppc itself?

Look at the 'archive host' concept:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#Configuring-an-Archive-Host
This lets you pre-configure a directory and some options to create tar
archives that may be compressed/split, and you can subsequently start
runs from the web interface.   Or, you can use the BackupPC_tarCreate
command line tool to generate the archive and do whatever you want
with the output.  For one-off runs you can just do a restore from a
browser, downloading as a tar or zip onto the removable media,
although some browsers may download to some other tmp location first,
requiring a lot of space there.