BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT error

2015-01-08 06:55:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT error
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 05:33:53 -0600
On 2015-01-08 02:40, Roberto González wrote:
> Hello:
>
>  I'm runnig a backup from a Windows server. Sometimes, doing a
> complete copy, it breaks with messages like this:

Wait...  From a Windows Server, or OF a Windows Server?  In any case,
"Windows Server" describes at least four completely different operating
systems and dozens of flavors of Windows, so you may want to go the
extra mile and actually report the actual operating system, because why
not?  Common problems will differ on each platform.

> NT_STATUS_OK opening remote file

This error message is the Samba end-of-chain -- in other words, it's
preceded by the actual error message, and this is really just Samba's
odd way of saying "something terrible went wrong higher up in the
stack."  Samba encompasses four different protocols and has different
quirks over four major versions, and can be configured in hundreds of
different ways on the server -- without the actual error message or
versions of either Windows or smbclient, the best you can hope for is
thousands of possibilities from higher up the chain that may or may not
have any relevance to the issue you're having.

Of course, the main issue with smb in general is that open files can't
be read.  Sometimes this is fatal, sometimes not, depending on all kinds
of things.  Before jumping to conclusions, though, I recommend running
smbclient verbosely and getting the actual error message so you know
what to take a look at.

>       * Sometimes breaks, but not always.
>
>       * When this happens, it stops copying files and the backup finish at
> that point.
>
> Could someone tell me why is this happenning?

Without the error from higher in the stack, the best anybody could do is
give you one of many, many possible causes that may or may not relate to
the issue you're experiencing.

> Is there any way to force the copy to go on even when those errors
> happens?

That depends on the root cause.