BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] User ID's

2015-01-06 13:33:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] User ID's
From: Curtis Vaughan <cavaughan AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC)
As part of the process of moving a mail server from one server to another
I set up a new server and added all the users. As a test I restored the
backup for one of the user's mailboxes to the new server, when I realized
an issue. The UID and GID for each user are different on both servers. So
my question is what is the better solution, or an alternative solution:

a) change the UID and GID for each user in the /etc/password and /etc/
groups files to match the previous server;
b) restore and then run a chown for each directory.

Other options that may exist, but I'm not aware of would be to either a)
have the server somehow force any added files below each user's directory
to have the correct UID and GID; or
have the restore process not apply the UID and GID from the backup.

This is all on Ubuntu servers.

Any incite would be appreciated!