BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Which transfer method is fastest?

2014-11-26 15:29:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Which transfer method is fastest?
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:27:21 +0100
Hi,

I assume this has been discussed several times but I did not find any
real comparisation of numbers.

So just to ask if anybody has some experience with the two major
transfer methods (rsync/ssh or rsyncd)?

By default rsyncd will be faster as otherwise we have the ssh overhead,
correct?

But I can enable compression for ssh while compression for the
perl-rsync used by BackupPC does not work.

So what is faster on a slow line of approx 10Mbit? ssh with compression
to max or sync without compression. And of course, it depends by the
data to be transfered. Assume mostly binary files.

Greetings

Christian