BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host configuration

2014-11-24 11:03:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host configuration
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:01:53 -0600
On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Fanny Alexandra Oyarzún Bórquez
<fanny.oyarzun AT lazos DOT cl> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I base my host configuration:
>
> FullPeriod = 6.97
> FullKeepCnt = 4, 2, 3
> FullKeepCntMin = 1
> FullAgeMax = 90
> IncrPeriod = 0.97
> IncrKeepCnt = 6
> IncrKeepCntMin = 1
> IncrAgeMax = 60

[...]
> But I wish I could hold a higher amount of incremental backups, such as:
>
> Retention of 30 days with 4 full and incremental backups others.

You shouldn't think about full/incremental runs with backuppc in the
same way that you do with other systems because there is essentially
no difference in the space they consume and in either case, keeping
more copies will only take the additional space of the files that were
modified or deleted in that time.    Also, when restoring, the
incrementals are 'filled' from the backing full so you don't have to
restore the full and then overlay the incremental.

If you want to keep a backup from every day for the last 30 days, just
set your IncrKeepCnt and IncrKeepCntMin to 30.  The backing fulls you
need will automatically be retained until the matching incrementals
are expired.