BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC backup speed is about 60Mbps ... slow?

2014-11-17 18:43:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC backup speed is about 60Mbps ... slow?
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:42:13 +1100

On 17/11/14 23:46, Benjamin Redling wrote:
> Mbps is bandwidth. Most often IOPS are more interesting. I've seen RAID w/ 12
> spindels degrade to kbps. /B
Of course, which is why I included the below caveat...
I should have also suggested changing to faster drives, and/or
increasing the number of spindles, and/or changing the RAID level (eg
from RAID5 or RAID6 to RAID10) but I assumed the OP didn't want to be
spending more money.

PS, depending on where the disk bottleneck is (client or server) and
it's OS, I spent a lot of time tuning a RAID array under linux, and
there are some things which can massively improve performance (depending
on the configuration of your machine). If you need assistance with that,
perhaps the linux-raid mailing list would be beneficial.

Regards,
Adam