BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Queue Order / Queue Pools

2014-08-28 21:53:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Queue Order / Queue Pools
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:48:27 +1000
On 29/08/14 01:36, Carl Cravens wrote:
> I can't complete all the backups in a day with a maxbackups of 1.  It's
> unreasonable to micromanage the blackout periods for 70+ hosts to keep
> certain ones from overlapping.
>
> I've coped with the problem, but it's something that an
> only-one-host-at-a-time-from-this-group feature would make a lot easier to
> deal with.

This has come up a few times, and I've just had a thought (a dangerous
prospect) but in combination with the other thread about variables in
config files, it might work.

Can the perl code embedded in the host config files create (read and
modify) a global variable which will be available to another hosts
config file.

In other words, something like this in both of host1 and host2 to make
sure that these two don't run at the same time:
if(++$myGroup > 1)
{
     $myGroup--;
      exit 1;
}

Failing that, I suppose you would need to resort to reading/writing the
value into a file, which could be as simple as (in sh script because I
can't be bothered to get correct syntax for perl):
if [ -f /somedir/myGroup ]
then
     exit 1
else
     echo $pid >> /somedir/myGroup
    # Could ensure that the entire content of myGroup is the pid (ie,
another host didn't add it's pid in a race condition)
fi

Also need to ensure that exit 1 is even a valid method to say don't
backup now, another option might be to set the pingcmd to /bin/false or
similar.

Regards,
Adam

--