BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarPCCopy usage

2014-08-05 09:39:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarPCCopy usage
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 06:37:33 -0700
Refer to:

<http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#Other-installation-topics>

I find myself needing to copy the pool as my external drive has run out of
space, so I'm now attempting to use this command to recreate the link farm.

The FAQ says to use this command:

__INSTALLDIR__/bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy __TOPDIR__/pc | tar xvPf -

After studying the code, I find it needs to be this:

__INSTALLDIR__/bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy __TOPDIR__/pc/HOST | tar xvPf -

where HOST is one of the backup clients. (The text above the example
command says this, but the example is wrong, because it doesn't specify a
subdirectory of pc.)

Also, the command fails when one of the files is read and causes a short
read (ie. zero bytes read but the file length is non-zero). I think this is
because the filesystem needs checking after filling up, so I'm doing that
now.

The error message is:

substr outside of string at /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line
876.

The real error happens up in TarWriteFile when the compressed file in
pc/HOST is read and $len is zero (ie. the read fails).