BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG (IMHO): BackupPC_Dump on QNAP QTS 4.1

2014-07-02 13:23:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG (IMHO): BackupPC_Dump on QNAP QTS 4.1
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 12:21:54 -0500
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Paolo Basenghi
<paolo.basenghi AT fcr.re DOT it> wrote:

> Il 02/07/2014 17:23, Les Mikesell ha scritto:
>> That is correct, but it doesn't block on other platforms unless the
>> remote stops sending.. But first the server-side ssh has to launch
>> rsync on the remote side, so you could see if you are getting at least
>> that far. It is also possible that it is working but just extremely
>> slow at handling compression, and thus hitting the timeout.
> Got your point and tested.
> The rsync process at the client side does nothing (no CPU nor mem
> activity). It is idle (blocked).
>
> The output of the BackupPC_dump program is (only significant lines):
>
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root caronte /usr/bin/rsync -v --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive . /
> Xfer PIDs are now 7567
> xferPids 7567
> Got remote protocol 1869506377
> Fatal error (bad version): Ignoring unknown parameter "conn log"
>
> I guess it is stuck because the two sides cannot agree about a protocol
> version or pheraphs the perl library cannot handle correctly this case.
> I don't know...

The backuppc-internal rsync can't handle any extraneous messages
before the remote rsync handshake. That is a known problem but usually
triggered by a login message from the remote side.  I thought it would
exit quickly with that error, but maybe it waits for ssh to exit.  In
any case you'll have to find a way to get that message out of the data
stream.   Meanwhile you might try setting up rsync in daemon mode on
the remote side and using the rsyncd xfer method.   That would get ssh
out of the picture.